Review of the "Chinese Social Credit System" group work

 The topic of this group work is quite interesting and peaked my interest. I have heard that China has an influential system of social credit that affects every citizen in a lot of areas but never took time to thoroughly read about it. Now I took this opportunity and dived right into the paper.

The amount of text felt just right to me. Not overly detailed but with enough information to cover most of the aspects. The wiki-based format contributed a lot to ease of following the paper since it is quite clear and logical - much easier than reading a PDF, for example. However, I think that authors of the paper could have worked a bit to make it look more homogeneous. Right now chapters somewhat differ in style - some have a lot of subchapters and are easier to follow and navigate through (correct wiki style) and some are just too big and are just marked with paragraphs instead of subchapters. That makes a person who is interested not in the whole topic but rather some specific sub-topic spend extra time finding it (which in my opinion goes against wiki-style canons). In my opinion, authors should have delegated one person who would do one big final style check.

Chinese social credit system is overviewed from multiple angles - principles, human, business, and technological aspects. I can say that as a person who was interested in this topic previously that all of my questions were answered and I'm quite happy I took the time of reading this paper. The language used is mostly suitable with only a few minor exceptions (at least in my opinion). Sometimes some words seemed to be used out of context - probably person was looking for synonyms to rephrase a sentence and used incorrect ones. I would also prefer to see more pictures or graphs - they can act as a buffer or summary between two chapters and information is easier received that way. The two pictures that are present in the paper are somewhat low-resolution and it is hard to get all of the information from them and I tried - maybe authors could find better ones.

The list of sources is quite impressive but they are not linked to corresponding parts of text or sentences (again, in wiki-style). So if a person wants to read more on some specific chapter he would have to check all sources and find suitable one instead of clicking the [source] after the sentence. Not a big mistake yet an inconvenience. 

In summary, the paper left very positive impressions and topic was covered and researched well. The only issues that I managed to find was text formatting and linking sources, however that is just styling, and at its core this group work is done really nicely .

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MySpace taught us how to do social media (week 3)

3 interesting inventions that flopped (week 1)